I am not a jewelry guy. So, when Rebecca and I married, I remember constantly being aware that I had a ring on my finger. I played with it. I took it on and off. I twisted it around and around. In fact, despite it being well-fitted, when we went snorkeling on our honeymoon, I actually swam with the fingers of my left hand holding onto the ring so it would not fall off!! Have no fear: the same ring adorns my finger today and is not, luckily, at the bottom of the Caribbean. And, while at first it “bothered” me to wear a piece of metal on my finger at all times, I quickly grew to like this new, constant reminder of the sanctification of Rebecca’s and my relationship. Physical reminders are powerful tools.
In this week’s Torah portion, Tetzaveh, the High Priest is commanded to wear a tzitz, a plate of pure gold upon his forehead with the words kodesh l’Adonai on it: Holy to the LORD. “It shall be on Aaron’s forehead, that Aaron may take away any sin arising from the holy things that the Israelites consecrate … it shall be on his forehead at all times, to win acceptance for them before the LORD” (Ex. 28:38). This plate affixed to Aaron’s headdress assured that his thoughts were at all times focused on his role and function in the community. He was reminded to be holy to the LORD. This plate functioned in a very similar way to the tefillin of both ancient and modern times. By wearing the tefillin boxes we are reminded every weekday morning of God’s oneness (the shema is written inside) and by wrapping the tefillin straps we are reminded that we are bound to God’s commandments. Physical reminders are powerful tools.
But sometimes physical reminders need to be recharged—or readjusted—to better serve their purpose. Over time, I grew accustomed to wearing a wedding ring. It no longer was—at least not with the intensity of those first days—a daily reminder of our marriage. Then I stumbled upon an interesting idea from Rabbi Arthur Waskow. As part of the traditional Friday night dinner rituals, one removes his/her ring before making the blessing over washing one’s hands. Rabbi Waskow wrote of a beautiful ritual that, each week, instead of placing their rings back on their own fingers, Rabbi Waskow and his wife would help each other place the ring on the other’s finger—in this way re-enacting the ceremony from their wedding. For several years now Rebecca and I have been engaging in this practice every Friday night and it has come to serve as a renewal of the power of the wedding ring as a symbol and reminder of our marriage. In the same way that my tefillin and tallit are a daily reminder of my relationship with God, the wedding ring remains after so many years a beautiful reminder of my relationship with my wife. Physical reminders are powerful tools and must be renewed periodically to continue to serve their purpose.
This Shabbat of Parashat Tetzaveh, what is one physical reminder you might employ to remind you of your relationship and obligations:
* To God?
* To the Jewish people?
* To your wife and family?
* To making this world a better place?
Rebecca, Caleb, and Ayal join me in wishing you Shabbat shalom um’vorach: a peaceful and blessed Sabbath.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment